Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Solution

There I was chanting my don't panic mantra, and Husband was off planning his success.

Husband has 4 younger siblings, all of whom simply adore him. he invited the youngest 3 including a newly returned misisonary, a sister in college and littlest brother (16) to come have a sleepover and play games all night long.

He got a pizza, busted out the Wii and had (willing) babysitters for himself all weekend long.

They came shortly after I left on Friday, and stayed helping with the kids and playing games and enjoying each other's company until Saturday afternoon. He had a harder time doing The Stuff to the full extent with such a full house, but he did at least a shortened version of everything. He made sure to keep all of his own rules and was especially glad for the company until the wee hours of the morning when it would have been so so hard.

Sometimes I'm amazed by his thoughtlessness and seeming stupidity. But other times I regain confidence in his foresight and ability to make good decisions.

What a great weekend victory for him.

*As a side note, I can feel the tension rising. he's on edge, it's been a while, and this is typically when he gets sloppy and stupid. These are the hardest weeks for me because I'm constantly waiting for him to lose. Suggestions on how to avoid pushing him over the edge? I'm open!*

4 comments:

  1. Good for him that he made a plan and followed through. And how fun that he spent some time with his siblings.
    As far as pushing him off the edge? No idea. But I'll keep reading the comments on this post for words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! That is such an awesome step. I don't know what you can do to help not push him over the edge...maybe be extra loving and patient with him? Serve him more? I really have no idea...I'll be checking back to the comments too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad his weekend went well! What about yours? You didn't say if you had fun or how the 5K went. I'd love to hear about it.

    About pushing him over the edge,
    I wonder and worry about my guy when he encounters stressful situations at work. Most of the time my worries are off-base. I'm learning to simply ask him how he is doing when I get worried that things are "building". He appreciates the check-in, as long as I do it in sincerity, and it helps him air any stresses or resentments that might be tanking up. What's your comfort level in talking with your husband about his addiction?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pushing him over the edge. I kinda wondering here...is this something you can actually do? I mean, is it really possible to raise his stress level so much that he just can't handle the pressure? I don't know, Im just wondering. This is something I've never really considered and I wonder if it falls in the category of "you are powerless over his addiction". Maybe, whether youre nice or not he will do what he will do.
    It sounds like he is working hard. Keeping himself safe and that is the ultimate goal for him. Keeping HIMSELF safe, regardless of stress and anxiety. Life will always have stress and anxiety, right?

    ReplyDelete