Monday, April 2, 2012

10 minutes

I know a woman who prays for 30 mintues every day without fail. This is a part of her life that she simply cannot live without.

I have two young children, a business, and a fairly demanding calling and I often remind myself that I simply "don't have that kind of time". The truth is I could make that kind of time if I wanted to - but I haven't done it.

But this month is the month of 10 minute prayers. Every day. I have told my husband that I am off limits to him (and the kids) because I am alloting myself 10 straight minutes of time to be with my Heavenly Father every day. And I get to pick when it is.

Yesterday was the first of the month and it was a beautiful 10 minutes. I'm amazed that things I have to discuss, ideas, people, thoughts that I have been neglecting. I hope that during this month I create a habit that lasts through my whole life.

6 comments:

  1. i absolutely LOVE this idea. i might have to steal it. thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny cause last night I said a 5 second prayer asking to help me remember to pray in the morning. Woke up this morning, ran out the door and then realized I'd forgotten to pray. I'll try a little harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been plenty of days that I didn't even get a 5 second "help me do it later" prayer in! :D This is a stretch for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I've ever prayed for 10 minutes straight. I have the worst attention span. Even in my darkest moments when I'm hurting, I start the most intense prayer and realize a minute later that I forgot that the reason I was kneeling with my eyes closed was that I was supposed to be praying. :) Must work on the attention span. We just started praying as a couple and as a family regularly and we're actually pretty good at it now, but personal prayers have always been a struggle for me. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that I do MUCH better staying focused if I speak outloud. (and even MORE better if I write things down. impressions, thoughts, people, places, etc.) Really - this is a BIG stretch for me.

      Delete
  4. I've tried writing down prayers too. It's interesting to go back and look at things I asked for and then received. How is the experiment going? Are you still going strong?

    ReplyDelete