Thursday, January 3, 2013

No respecter of calendars

When I was a young girl I fought with my brother one Christmas Eve and my mom was horrified that we "ruined Christmas!!!" She had a meltdown we didn't see her for a while and when we did the guilt trip was enormous.

I hadn't intended to ruin Christmas. And while we were fighting I didn't realize that I was ruining Christmas for her. But afterward I felt bad (of course) and wished I could enjoy Chrismtas instead of feeling guilty. But every time I saw my mom and her disappointment I couldn't do anything but wallow in the guilt of my enormous error.

Husband lost on Christmas Eve. I still had a lovely holiday, but he was bitterly disappointed when my boundaries (hands off after loss!) still applied even though "it's Christmas!"

Then he lost again (he tends to hit a downward spiral immediately after loss) and was disappointed again when I held firm "even on New Year's Eve?...."

I feel bad for him, I get that he's disappointed, and I am too. I'd much rather feel close and connected to my Husband during holidays and special occasions. I'd much rather snuggle in close to him by the fire and feel safe and secure in his arms.

But the truth is: I don't. So I didn't.

But the other truth is Christmas wasn't ruined. I think I inherited some (ok a lot) of my mom's perfectionism. The inability to shrug off the bad and move on. So what if your kids fight with each other. They're kids? Let's open some presents and give thanks to each other.

I'm working hard on being able to isolate the heartbreak of addiction. Give it its proper place, then move on. Christmas Eve was a lovely holiday. We enjoyed time with family, continued on with our traditions and enjoyed being together. My children's eyes widened at the sight of presents, they tore wrapping paper and giggled. Husband was pleasantly surprised and we all played games to our hearts' content.

The place for disappointment was later, and I let it stay there instead of allowing it to seep into all of our other holiday joy.

In the meantime, perhaps my own personal Christmas gift from above, we have been blessed with Wonder-Bishop who has lit a fire under Husband that I haven't seen before. Husband is engaged and interested in overcoming addiction in a way he never has been before. I'm not at all confident it will last, but I am confident he's getting a taste of real change. And I hope he likes it enough to keep it up.

But if not, he's a good man, a good father, and a quite pleasant companion when he wants to be.

I'll take it.

5 comments:

  1. What do you mean by hands off after loss? Is it all contact or just --- you know? And by the way I love reading your mile mark posts, it's like I am traveling and gaining hope that I can overcome codependancy and possibly be more like you. Or me, if I figure out who I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, in re-reading my question I sound wrong, - I ask because I am trying to find boundaries. And trying to find reasonable boundaries. And honestly, if my husband slipped I'd want no contact at all. I guess I wante to know if I was ok. But that is something I need to ask myself. And be ok with my own answer, working on it,,,, working on it...

      Delete
    2. :) I totally know what you mean! I am constantly checking in with others in my situation because I don't really trust my own judgement anymore. To me that's the beauty of these communities and blogs.

      When I say 'hands off after loss' I don't mean we have no physical contact at all. But when he loses I'm grossed out by him. (Do I sound 17? I feel 17, but I swear I'm not...) We will hold hands, hug, even kiss. But I can't stand to have him get all gropey and make attempts to get me turned on so he can have sex. I hate it, I feel used and betrayed and objectified. So I need like a week of grope-free physical contact and definitely not sex. Does that help?

      Delete
  2. Ha! Great post. You have me cheering for both you and your husband. Plus you made me chuckle. I admire your resolve, but it's clear that you really love your husband. I pray that he will find that peace and joy that recovery brings, and that your family will reap the rewards of your faith and righteous living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. Totally been there. Mother's Day too. Boo addiction! Biggest spoiler ever. But I think it's awesome you didn't let him pout his way out of the boundaries.

    Thinking of you and loving your positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete