Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Kind and Loving Bishop

We're new in our ward and I just received a calling. So when the secretary called and asked Husband to meet with the Bishop we knew it was his turn for a calling too.

He went in to meet with the new Bishop (who Husban hasn't gotten around to talking to about addiction stuff just yet) and came home to an anxious wife wondering how the meeting went.

The result?

No calling.

Just a concerned Bishop who wanted to get to know Husband better. His name had been thrown around, but because Husband works every other Sunday they hadn't really found a place for him and Bishop wanted to know more about his background. Bishop asked if he held a temple recommend and Husband spilled his guts.

Bishop offered some guidance and council. He told Husband that he wanted to be on his team. He expressed desire to help in any way he could and made it clear that Husband would not be falling through the cracks.

Husband came home feeling lighter and more free.
He feels supported and cared for.
He feels loved and appreciated.
He actually said the words "I don't really care who knows anymore....I just want to be done with it." He has never said that (or felt it) before.

I think this kind and loving Bishop acting for his kind and loving Heavenly Father has softened Husband's heart just a little. Husband is now aware that there are others out there with concern for him.

And it's amazing how far that goes.

Stay tuned for future developments.....

9 comments:

  1. Super!! I hope it is the beginning of a great new chapter in your recoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, the moment you can tell people is the moment you can let go of the shame. This is great! I hope it's a new chapter for you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I just hope it's true and not just one of those things you say because you know the right words.... :) It feels true - at least today.

      Delete
  3. Maybe you could ask your good husband to tell you how he plans to help his sons and daughters avoid the lust trap, and if they fall into it, how he plans to help them get out of it. I myself have learned that I can't help them at all without first learning the lessons myself. And believe me, that day will come! I submit this very humbly and meekly. I should have been asking myself these questions a LONG time ago. Bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea. Definitely a conversation we'll be having....

      Delete
  4. Oh good!! I bet it felt so good for Husband to feel understand and actually noticed by someone. I bet it will help immensely in his path for healing! And also for you to feel like more people are on your team, and you aren't fighting this alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man - this post brought me to tears. I love Bishops so much. Mine is like yours and it just helped me appreciate him more. Thank for sharing your gratitude. It's contagious!

    ReplyDelete