Thursday, May 16, 2013

What I like about Addo

This is a program that is really resonating with me. I'm never sure about these things if it's the timing, my state of readiness or the actual program. So I'm not confident in saying this is the end-all be-all.

But there is a different (and totally new to me) approach which I really love.

The trauma model acknowledges and validates that my symptoms (depression, anxiety, stress) have been exacerbated by a traumatic event in my life. (My Husband consistently acting out in his sexual addiction.) It doesn't not say "fix you because you're broken." It says "this horribly painful thing happened in your life and you could probably use some help dealing with the effects and fallout."

I know, semantics. But it feels different (better) to me and I like it. So I don't really care why.

I have the enormous blessing of living in Utah County where they run this program, so I get to attend the weekly lectures in real life. I get to see my dear friends in real life. I get to stay after and talk until the sun goes down. (Which gets later every week!)

After group a few of us stayed after to chat with a couple of people who do so much behind the scenes work. People who are not Dr. Skinner. Non-Skinners. The thing about Non-Skinners is that they are unbelievably devoted to seeing this work. I watched them listen to us talk. Taking in what we said, and responding. They want to know what works, what does and why. They are passionate about this. And I love them for it.

So if you haven't already contacted Addo and you'd like to learn more about what they're doing and how you can be involved, contact them.

4 comments:

  1. just submitted my email. I don't know if this is for addicts but I am always interested in learning anything that i can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish I could come to the group session. The timing just doesn't work with one of my kid's activities. 7 or 8 pm would have though... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you're watching online afterward right? Cuz if not you can!!

      Delete
    2. Oh definitely! It has been good--especially this week's class.

      Delete