Friday, May 17, 2013

Stressors

In a long talk with my sister a few nights ago I identified and shared some of the things I'm learning about myself through assessments and writing a bit more. (Stress much anyone?)

We talked about stress levels and she helped me see a lot more of the external factors in that. It's nothing extraordinary, most of what we've been through is stuff most adults have gone through. But it is a significantly stressful time of life for me.

  • Husband has been in school full time for the past 7 years doing various degrees and earning certifications. 
  • He has been trying to choose a career path. Deciding what to be when we grow up is a big decision. 
  • I've been having babies and trying to care for them. Newborns are demanding. Toddlers are too. And I've been told that as they age their problems just get bigger. No end in sight.
  • We've both been working. A lot. He has changed jobs twice now since graduating. (always with an overlapping period where he's working 2 full time jobs) and I've trained someone and handed on my business and found a new job.
  • Last year we moved. To Utah County. Despite my best efforts to defend this place it triggers me like crazy.
  • This year the home that we're renting is being foreclosed because our landlord hasn't paid the mortgage for a couple of years.
  • Oh yeah, and there's this little thing about how he is a sex addict. And while I wish that recovering from that took 3-4 nights/week instead I'm spending 7 days/week worrying about it and wondering if I'm doing enough and knowing that he isn't doing enough.This of course brings with it concerns about divorce or separation and 
The Holmes & Rahe Stress Scale gives me enough points have a "very high risk" of becoming ill in the near future. Twice over. (I'm curious - what's your score?)

Bottom line, life is stressful right now. Partly because of our phase of life.  School, change, young kids. And partly because of addiction. But either way, I am legitimately (and understandably) stressed.out.

No comments:

Post a Comment