Sunday, June 2, 2013

Go Bag

Addo Recovery had an assignment about self-soothing. We talked about the senses and the assignment was to create a box of items that are soothing to you that you can use at crunch time.

I struggled with assignment because most of the things that I could think of to be soothing were not bag appropriate.

Like going for a walk, a run or a hike in the mountains.
Doing yoga in my backyard.
Reading stories with my kids in a blanket fort.
Baking.
Reading.
Giggling

You get the idea. Lots of things, not so bagable.

But today I found myself with a little extra time, and once I got started it took no more than 10 minutes to put together what I have named my "Go Bag". I wanted this to be portable.

Like when Husband does something that makes me so crazy the only thing I can think of doing is grabbing my keys and leaving. I typically end up sitting in a restaurant ordering food I don't want just so I can sit in (relative) peace and have someone else take care of me. "Can I get you some more water hun?" Yes. Yes you can. I wanted a bag of stuff I can just throw in the car, so I can find a quiet spot to park, a quick drive up the canyon, or to a park, or even an empty parking lot.

I picked my favorite bag, and made sure I had something for each of my senses. Here it is.



  1. A writing pad & pen. Because it's just paper I am letting go of it having a specific purpose. It can be for notes, venting, making plans, writing letters, journaling, or making paper airplanes. Whatever I need it to be. (Internal)
  2. Daughters In My Kingdom - This happens to be a book I love. It is filled with stories of strong women who do courageous things. If you don't have a copy and want to read it you can read (or listen to) the whole thing online for free here. Or you can find your local LDS Relief Society leaders and I promise they'll be over the moon if you ask for a copy. (Internal)
  3. Photo flip book - For $1 at Walmart I got this little 4x6 book to fill with pictures that make me smile. Vacations, beaches, mountains, babies, friends, laughing, memories. Happy ones. Only happy ones. Genuinely happy ones. (sight)
  4. My patriarchal blessing - It gives me hope and guidance and direction and comfort. (For what a patriarchal blessing is go here) (internal)
  5. iPod shuffle - It's filled with good music of all kinds. Some power songs. Some damn it all to hell songs. Some happy sunshine songs. Some running hard songs. Some yoga songs. Some spiritual songs. All kinds of songs. In groups with others like them so I can find them. It is now my Go Bag iPod. (hear)
  6. Mints - because when I'm weeping and wailing and gnashing my teeth I gotta have a mint to clear my sinuses. Also because I needed something to taste. (taste)
  7. Punch ball balloons - First blowing them up requires a lot of deep breaths. Which is always cleansing. Then I get to beat them to death. Or calmly walk around letting it bounce of my knuckles and floating back again. Or anything in between. (kinesthetic)
  8. Bubbles - see the note above about breathing. Plus bubbles are pretty. And they make my boys happy, so I don't see why they can't make me happy too. (kinesthetic & touch)
  9. Burt Bees Coconut Foot Cream - I really love a good foot cream. And I rarely get to spend as much time as I'd like pampering my feet. Rubbing in the cream until my dry cracked heels have really soaked it all up. This cream is especially.....deep. Penetrating. Whatever. I love it. (touch, smell, kinesthetic) 
So there you have it. 10 minutes, 9 items and I'm Go Bag ready. I just noticed that I didn't put a pocket sized tissue thing in there - but I'll fix that right away. Because no matter what else happens, I'm quite likely to cry.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. I also love the idea of sitting in a restaurant just to have someone take care of me. That's brilliant. Why did that never occur to me before? Probably for the best anyway...that might've only fueled my food issues. This is a great idea though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Restaurants have become my favorite alone place which is not good for my bank account or my health. (cheese fries at midnight? Not healthy!) But I seriously love it anyway. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this!! I think I will do it too! I like that you wrote the senses it connects with. Really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Show me yours when you do it! I have a feeing yours will be filled with fabulousness. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Thank you!! I felt my stuff wasn't bagable either....but now I have some great ideas from your post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this gave you ideas! I found it helpful to think in terms of my 3 year old. I need him to breath? I'll give him bubbles. I need him to get out aggression? Punch balls! I'm a lot like a 3 year old boy I guess. :)

      Delete
  4. I love it. But you should really throw some sunblock in there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? And tissue! How did I not add tissue?! Duh. :)

      Delete