Thursday, June 6, 2013

Burned

 

To celebrate the first day my whole family (all 4 of us) would be together in a few weeks, we got out the kiddie pool and turned on the sprinklers at 9am.

We basked in the sun and threw water at each other for 4 hours. 4 beautifully glorious care-free hours.

Before bed last night my sunburn had set in.

Deep dark red boiling from my skin.

"But I sunscreened!!!" I wailed as Husband gently applied the cold aloe making every goosebump ache.

"Nobody else got burned even a little!" I whined in between gasps of pain.

"Why?!?!?!"

Here's the thing, it's not fair. It's not fair that 1 layer of sunscreen doesn't do it for me and it did for the rest of my family.

Some of us need more protection than others. And whining and crying and gasping when someone looks like they might give me a hug doesn't change it. Ideally I should learn from this mistake (and the same ones last summer, and the summer before that) that I need plenty of sunscreen. Often. Or I will be burned.

The same way I should learn that although some women seem to be able to hang their happiness on their husband, if my mood is dependent on Husband's progress, goodness or happines, I will be burned. Again and again.

Here's to sunscreen.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. This really hit me. I like this principle a lot. Like in areas where you're more affected than the other average person... apply more protective walls. Yeah! I like it. Thank you! And I'm glad you had a fun day playing in the sun :)

    ReplyDelete