Monday, July 29, 2013

Vulnerable

It's been a bit of a rough week at our house.

Not because of the regular rough-inducers, but because of normal non addiction life roughness.

Oddly it's been refreshing. Regular (and socially acceptable) roughness is a nice change of pace.

But here's the thing. When we go through rough things we talk about it on a very surface level. I'm naturally a pretty open person, so it's not hard to tell Husband that x, y or z went wrong. X, Y & Z are obviously wrong and anybody in the world can see that. No wonder it's easy to say it to him.

But the deeper darker fears and feelings I generally save for myself.
I cry in the middle of the night when my house is quiet and I can sneak out my back door and sit under my favorite tree.
I weep while I drive after a taxing day.
I also cry for people, with people, and about the regular stuff. Those are tears I'm happy to share. But mine are just for me.
But mainly, I don't share my shame. When I do something that makes me feel ashamed, I stuff it and run away. 

That's why it's a big deal that after an embarrassing (even shaming) evening I was able to honestly tell him exactly what happened and exactly how distraught I felt. I told him about being the fool. I explained my fears and my nervousness about facing these people again.

The strangest thing was his reaction. One I haven't seen for a long time.

My addict husband opened his arms to me and held me and listened to me cry.

It was a small step, yes. But it was in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man. Empathy is such a healing response isn't it? As Jacy says - "I am willing to be in that place with you." It is like the best demonstration of love. No advice or solutions or defensiveness. Just softness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll take that kind of behavior to the addict behavior any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete