Monday, July 15, 2013

Time

Sometimes I look at our progress (or lack of) and how slowly it seems to be going and I'm frustrated, discouraged, confused and I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. (Other times I'm well aware of what I'm doing wrong...)

But today a discussion with an inspired coworker has me remember how very little it matters how long this takes us.

God is eternity, and if it takes us 70 years (oh I cringe at the thought!) that's OK. Success after 70 years is still success and the truth is this life is short in the grand scheme of things.

Of course I am not as patient and eternal as God is (yet) so I'm not saying I have the stamina to keep it up for 70 years, but I am saying that I'm feeling much less rushed this week. It is simply a process. And in the process we make mistakes, we handle situations poorly, we learn and we take our experience into the next round.

There is no deadline. Husband doesn't need 25 years of sobriety by the time he's 50. It isn't a race to see who can "win" the fastest or the best. It's just a life experience and failure is part of it. And that's OK.

Today I feel at peace with the process. A welcome change in attitude.

3 comments:

  1. YES!! I love this so much!! What an empowering realization. And it totally takes the pressure off, like you can take 3 days or 3 years of just resting and breathing and meditating, and then once you feel re-energized, try the recovery road with him again. It's a journey that can go as fast and slow as you need!

    I don't know why I feel all hyped up about this post! Maybe because I find subtle ties to my life too. Like, maybe I won't get married until I'm 89, but that's okay! My journey can go as slow as it wants!

    Thank you for this. I needed it. "Peace in the process." That comforts me. You are AMAZING! And I seriously adore you like a sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Chantel, you're the best. You got me more hyped about it than I even was in the first place - your enthusiasm is contagious! :)

      Delete
  2. This is the peaceful thought that gets me through the rough moments. Life is about growing and growth is slow. Plus, I think being slow has its advantages. Is it really after 11....off to bed. Goodnight friend!

    ReplyDelete