Sunday, April 14, 2013

Follow Through

The thing that I keep getting caught up in lately is follow through.

Husband will say something and blow it off.
He'll set up boundaries for himself then ignore them.
He says he'll do something, say something, be somewhere and he just doesn't. Shrugs it off as if it doesn't matter.

This just not doing things doesn't compute for me. If I say something I do it. Or at least I have the decency to come up with a good excuse.

I get no such excuses from Husband. And it triggers me BAD.

I want to somehow enforce SOMEthing. I want him to understand that grown up human beings are reliable. I want him to know that this is unacceptable. And I want to somehow make stuff happen. I want to follow through for him. Force him to do what he said he'd do.

Because it seems to me that someone ought to.

How's that for codependent?

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to this! The flakiness is such a part of the addiction. They lie to themselves by committing to do things. So hard to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband does this to. Fickle and yet he's compulsive. It's rough watching him go through the cycles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Someone ought to. Unfortunately it can't be us. I notice this most as my husband cycles through addiction. Every once in a while I catch him when he's not talking as an addict. He says all kinds of things that sound great and hopeful. Then addict speak returns and not only does he not follow through, make not excuses, he acts like he never said anything in the first place! So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete