Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Soul Loves

My friend Jane shared a Glennon video with me, all about the things your soul loves.
(Go click the link, you won't be sorry. It's beautiful.)

I thought "My goodness, Glennon has a beautiful soul doesn't she?" which, of course, she does. 

Then I thought of my friend Jane, and thought "my goodness, Jane has a beautiful soul, doesn't she?" which, of course, she does. 

Then Hil, Michelle, Scabs, Harriet, the list of beautiful souls I've been blessed to know goes on and on and on. I thought of my WoPAs, all the WoPAs, my family, my friends, and so many loved ones. I walk around all day long surrounded by beautiful souls. 

Then I thought I'd try to find my soul, but that sounded hard, so I instead I decided to start where Glennon started. By finding things my soul loves. 
  • good books
  • stepping on fallen leaves
  • campfires in the dark
  • crisp morning air
  • laughing - and making people laugh
  • connective conversations
  • writing
  • breathing slowly
  • making things grow
  • learning
  • healthy dark dirt
  • a long swim in a cold COLD lake
  • other souls
So I shared those things with a few close friends, and realized that my soul is beautiful. It loves beautiful things. But it also loves less-beautiful things. 
  • pie. lots and lots of pie
  • being right
  • controlling the behavior of the people around me
  • admiration
  • breaking things (ice throwing contest anyone?)
  • doing things I deem IMPORTANT
  • validation
  • feeling powerful
Jane swears that the ego is what loves all that validation and being right, the anger is probably responsible for breaking things, and well, I still don't see anything wrong with loving pie. 

I suppose the question for me is the same as it has always been. 

When I strip away everything else, does my soul love the "right" things? Am I enough?

On the day I wrote this post (more than a month ago) I answered this question with a resounding yes! But as with all things, it ebbs and flows. Some days I see my own soul's beauty, and some days I don't. Today I don't know if I can put a big fat "of course I am!!!" at the end of all this. But I do see that my soul loves beautiful beautiful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment